We have completed our second day of teaching. It is going VERY well. The students are very receptive and as I have been sitting in on the other classes a bit, there is quite a bit of interaction and engagement. Two of the classes have grown by a few new students. The interest here is very high and we are amazed with the level of the students. We were anticipating a lower level.
One of the things we have encountered here is the language barrier. Although they speak English, it is not an English we are used to. Conversely they are not used to our accents either. But it is more than accents. What we have noticed is that they prounce the slightly different, but the real problem for us is that they do not pronounce the ending consonents. Try to pronounce 'house' or 'Bible' without saying the last consonant. Add on poor acoustics (it is like being in a very large room where there are echos everywhere.) Add outside noise, generators, construction noise, it gets to be a bit of a challenge. Although I ask them to repeat their question at least 2-3 times (sometimes more, and sometimes I don't understand at all and another student has to reword it or break it down for me) they are gracious with me. But we are making good progress.
I have caught up in my class to beyond where I wanted to be, which will allow me to teach some things I thought I might not be able to. This has been a great time.
I am the only one who has a computer that works to send emails. etc. One teacher didn't bring one, another forgot his charger, and the third just can't make the uplink work. So I alone am able to send out reports, pretty much. Philemon gets to text often.