Often I find myself longing for more spiritual conversation when I spend time with fellow believers. It's so easy to just chit-chat about surface issues. It takes concentrated effort to delve deeper into God-exalting fellowship. Donald Whitney in his book Simplify Your Spiritual Life offers some helpful questions to turn a conversation in a more spiritual direction.
1. How is your (teaching, hospitality, outreach, deacon, or whatever) ministry going? What do you enjoy most about it?
2. Where have you seen the Lord at work lately?
3. What's the Lord been teaching you recently?
4. Have you had any evangelistic opportunities lately?
5. Have you had any obvious answers to prayer recently?
6. What have you been reading? How has it impressed you?
7. Where in the Bible have you been reading lately? What impact has it had on you?
8. How can I pray for you?
9. What's the growth point in your life right now?
10. What are you passionate about right now?