A great snapshot into the reality of short-term missions is found here.
The best part is the first question and answer. However the whole thing is very helpful. The questions being asked are:
- Was the team an encouragement to you and your family personally? Please explain.
- Was the team a definite benefit to your ministry?
- If the team was a benefit, please describe the benefits and impact it had on your people and any lasting results from their ministry.
- Describe any specific problems during the teams stay.
- Would you like to have another mission team come to help you in ministry? Why or why not?
- What other imformation or recommendations would you like to share?
I think any church can find benefit is using these questions to assess their short-term trips as long as you know that the person answering them will in actuality tell you the truth!
Darren Carlson is the Founder and President of Training Leaders International. As President, Darren oversees the general direction of the ministry and serves as an advocate for pastors with little access to formal training and thoughtful cross-cultural theological engagement. You can connect with him on Facebook and Twitter.